O-sewa ni natta kata

Nachi, Wakayama Prefecture


Leaving home at midnight, 70 year old Inaba drove for 16 hours to Nachi, in southern Wakayama prefecture.  He arrived at the Nachi guest house, where I met him, at 4pm.  We shared a table at dinner. 

First, he complimented my dexterity with chopsticks; then he praised my burbling Japanese.  A retired rice farmer,  Inaba makes the long-round trip to Nachi every year.  He comes to pray at the grave of O-sewa ni natta kata (somebody who looked after him well).

He usually only comes in May, the anniversary of O-sewa ni natta kata`s death.  But, news of the devastating typhoons in Wakayama brought him back again. 

The typhoon killed over 100 people; many villages, roads,bridges and buildings were destroyed.  Inaba`s thoughts were focused on what damage landslides may have done to O-sewa ni natta kata`s grave.  

“I thought about bringing a shovel, but then I thought, I could always borrow one”, Inaba told me. He looked me in the eye and spoke with intensity.  I had to concentrate to both appear polite, and not to be distracted by the recently arrived cream pudding.

The following morning, Inaba had an early start. He was to leave the guesthouse at the unbuddhaly hour of 4:30am for morning service at the temple where O-sewa ni natta kata was buried.    

“Why don`t you go with him?”, the burly guest house owner asked me.  At 4:30am? I could have punched him.  Or cried.  Or both.  Instead,  I meekly agreed.

At 4:30 am, Inaba was waiting for me by the shoes.  He looked radiant.  I felt like a bag of shit.

Inaba, as a temple regular, was granted privileged access deep inside the temple.  I, as his…erm…mascot, was allowed alongside him.

Inside, Inaba fell to his knees, prostrating himself, chanting Namu Amidha Butsu.  I lowered myself to the tatami floor with the grace of a cow trying to sit at the dinner table. 

After the sutra-chanting service, Inaba left with the Head monk to say a special prayer at the grave of O-sewa ni natta kata.  Straight afterwards, he left for the 16 hour drive back to his home Yokohama home.  A 48 hour trip, two thirds of it spent inside a car.  Not bad for a 7o year old.  O-sewa ni natta kata must have been a pretty special person. 




This entry was posted in Outside Tokyo, inside Japan and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to O-sewa ni natta kata

  1. kay orsman says:

    I loved reading this- it brought a tear to my eye. Such a journey for an older person, such respect and deication to someone who had shown kindness to him.

    • tomointokyo says:

      He is a special character. The next day he gave me a lift for 100 miles then paid for my lunch at the end of it. My kind of friend.

  2. Pingback: The Waterfall Walk | Shimaguni

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s